[PLUG] Using a SSD

Tim tim-pdxlug at sentinelchicken.org
Fri Jan 10 23:13:52 UTC 2014

> I believe you ALWAYS want a swap partition so your system doesn't crash
> when you run out of real memory. Of course you don't ever want to actually
> use it, it's more of an insurance policy, Just In Case.

Say your box has 4GB of RAM.  You have a 4GB swap partition.  What
happens when you use more than 8GB of RAM?

Swap doesn't save you from this problem, it simply delays it and
causes the system to run *extremely slowly*.  So slow in fact, that
you might as well have run out of RAM.

Do you know how Linux behaves when it runs out of memory?  There are
ways to configure this, but it doesn't outright crash immediately.  By
default, the OOM reaper comes to town and makes a mess of things, but
it tries to make things fail gracefully, in a way.

tim