[PLUG] ProFTPd Weirdness

Keith kilowatt_radio at yahoo.com
Mon Jan 13 21:51:25 UTC 2014

[posted to Portland Linux/Unix Group <plug.lists.pdxlinux.org> & emailed]
On Sun, 12 Jan 2014 17:42:10 -0800, Ron Braithwaite <ron at braithwaites.net>
wrote:

> Got a problem with a Caldera Debian box with ProFTPd. Basically, when initially connecting, it takes as much as a minute on the client side to see anything on the server side. Transfer a file and it goes over and back at regular network speeds, but then takes almost a minute to show an ls. I’ve made the following changes to /etc/proftpd/proftpd.conf:

Is this through a direct connection, router or the Internet? Try a trace
route and ping to the box and see what happens. If you are using a router
it could be a setting in the router. Also if connected to the Internet
make sure the box hasen't been compromised.

To see if it is a hang up in the box or the server software connect
directly to FTP server from within the box by connecting to 127.0.0.1

Also check the firewall settings on your box and the FTP server box.