[PLUG] Google foo for key mapping

Dick Steffens dick at dicksteffens.com
Thu Jan 16 17:24:48 UTC 2014

I'm playing with a USB remote control and have gotten as far as knowing
what the scancode is for each button. I also know that I can assign each
key a certain behavior and where to do it. I know the names of some of
the behaviors, such as KEY_UP, KEY_DOWN, etc. What I'd like to know is
what to call a list of all available behaviors names so I can assign
appropriate -- or maybe inappropriate -- behaviors to specific keys.

One example is the button on the top right of the remote. The key has a
quarter moon shape. If I press it the computer goes into some version of
hibernate. Pushing it again does not do anything, probably because the
computer is sleeping and not paying attention to the remote anymore. The
simple thing is to eliminate that behavior from that key. However, it
might be useful for that key to do something else. So I'd like to know
what all the other things are that can be assigned.

It would also be  helpful to know if there is a way to assign a key to a
script. Maybe I'll want a button to cause a series of things to happen.
I could write a script to do those things. Is there a way to assign a
button to do that? Seems like there should be.

Anyway, pointers to the right Google foo for searching for this would be
appreciated.

TIA.

--
Regards,