[PLUG] Google foo for key mapping

Loren M. Lang lorenl at north-winds.org
Sun Jan 19 22:57:55 UTC 2014

On 1/16/2014 9:39 PM, Eric Wilhelm wrote:
> # from Dick Steffens on Thursday 16 January 2014:
>> I know the names of some of
>> the behaviors, such as KEY_UP, KEY_DOWN, etc. What I'd like to know
>> is  what to call a list of all available behaviors names so I can
>> assign appropriate -- or maybe inappropriate -- behaviors to specific
>> keys.
> Depends on your desktop.  You're probably looking for hotkeys/shortkuts
> somewhere in your gnome/kde/xfce/whatnot kontrol center / gonfigurator.
> The names of actions are going to vary.

Out of curiousity, does the sleep button on the remote work when you are
not in X11? Such as from a virtual text console? Alt-F1. If so, then
it's just a matter of finding which program from the above list is doing
it. If it happens even from a text console, it might be a udev event
triggering it or something.

>> One example is the button on the top right of the remote. The key has
>> a  quarter moon shape.
> The sleep key might be a special case.  Mine (thinkpad) shows up under
> `acpi_listen` as 'button/sleep', and I think it can be intercepted in
> the ACPI config or you can use the desktop hotkeys to handle it (which
> requires you to be logged in.)

Yes, ACPI events would happen for power/sleep keys that are tied to the
motherboard, but that's not used for USB or PS/2 keyboards. Those are
just input events from the Linux Input Subsystem (or whatever it's
called). It shows up as a USB HID code. If you want a list of all of
them, Google for USB HID 1.11. There are many pages of HID Usage Codes
in the PDF. You want something like Generic Desktop/Keyboard. However,
when X11 receives those codes, it translates them to Keysyms using the
current configuration specified in XKB. A list of standard keysyms can
be found in /usr/include/X11/keysymdef.h and some non-standard extras in
/usr/include/X11/XF86keysym.h such as XF86XK_PowerOff and XF86XK_WakeUp.
You can run a program like xev from a X11 Terminal and see what events
are reported for each key press. The output is in the terminal itself.

--
Loren M. Lang
lorenl at north-winds.org
http://www.north-winds.org/

Public Key: ftp://ftp.north-winds.org/pub/lorenl_pubkey.asc
Fingerprint: 10A0 7AE2 DAF5 4780 888A  3FA4 DCEE BB39 7654 DE5B