[PLUG] Chrome difficulties

Joe Shisei Niski joeniski at easystreet.net
Mon Jan 20 17:45:14 UTC 2014

On 01/18/2014 05:06 PM, Denis Heidtmann wrote:
> On Sat, Jan 18, 2014 at 4:57 PM, Denis Heidtmann
> <denis.heidtmann at gmail.com>wrote:
>
>> >Chrome would not launch.  From a terminal I got:
>> >~$ google-chrome
>> >[5877:5906:0118/165059:ERROR:nss_util.cc(750)] After loading Root Certs,
>> >loaded==false: NSS error code: -8018
>> >[6062:6062:0118/165220:ERROR:nss_util.cc(750)] After loading Root Certs,
>> >loaded==false: NSS error code: -8018
>> >NVIDIA: could not open the device file /dev/nvidia0 (Operation not
>> >permitted).
>> >NVIDIA: could not open the device file /dev/nvidia0 (Operation not
>> >permitted).
>> >
>> >Chrome then launched, and seems to work.  It may have just gotten its
>> >nickers in a knot.  I will see after closing and restarting.
>> >
>> >-Denis
>> >
> Well, no change after restarting the computer.  Also, Chrome has lost its
> icon.  The system is Ubuntu 12.04 LTS.  Any ideas?
>
> Thanks,
> -Denis
> _______________________________

Jumping into this thread a little late in the game, but on my
NVidia-equipped machine running Ubunto 12.04 LTS Chrome has never had a
problem, and is far more reliable at playing video (Flash-based and
otherwise) than Firefox.

That said, i experienced frequent crashes of in Unity, where one or both
of my displays would get unreadbly garbled, until i remembered that
closed-source hardware drivers don't get updated through
UpdateManager/apt-get, but rather through the "Additional Drivers"
utility. So, i update from v. 173 to 319 "post-release-updates" and so
far, so good.

Joe Shisei Niski
Portland, Oregon, USA
至誠