[PLUG] Help! Can't print my homework (SOLVED)

wes plug at the-wes.com
Tue Jan 21 17:32:59 UTC 2014

> The only problem is that the router doesn't see any of the printers,

This is because you have set all the IP addresses for your printers
manually. The router only tracks IP addresses for devices which have
requested an IP from it.

> even though I turned them all on. Therefore, I can't see an easy way to
> reserve addresses for them. In each case the printer's IP address was
> set on its control panel. I suppose I could fumble around in their
> control panels to see if I could find a way to identify it to the
> router,

This would be to set each printer to obtain its IP address via DHCP.

but that is a lot of work, and I don't even know it if it's
> necessary or useful to do so.

You've already mitigated this by issuing a DHCP reservation for your other
devices so they won't collide with your static assignments any more.
However the next time you plug something in, it's only a matter of time
before this happens again. You should segregate your IP address space such
that devices configured statically are assigned addresses outside your
router's DHCP range. You can change either the static IPs or the DHCP range
(or both) to accomplish this.

-wes