[PLUG] Python mess-up

Denis Heidtmann denis.heidtmann at gmail.com
Wed Jan 22 00:16:47 UTC 2014

I have python functioning, but some commands still cause seg faults.  I can
do useful work without those commands, so this has become a matter of
clean-up rather than an emergency.

I should point out, if it is not already obvious, that I am a neophyte at
this.

The response from the apt-get command consists of 47 lines.  Below is a
snippet.  Shall I cram all 47 lines in here?

parents at R2D4:~$ sudo apt-get install python-numpy python-scipy libblas-dev
liblapack-dev gfortran
[sudo] password for parents:
Reading package lists... Done
Building dependency tree
Reading state information... Done
python-numpy is already the newest version.
python-numpy set to manually installed.
The following packages were automatica...
Get:10 http://us.archive.ubuntu.com/ubuntu/ precise/universe python-scipy
amd64 0.9.0+dfsg1-1ubuntu2 [7,300 kB]
Fetched 50.4 MB in 10min 29s (80.1 kB/s)
dpkg: warning: parsing file '/var/lib/dpkg/status' near line 59538 package
'virtualbox-3.0':
 error in Version string '3.0.12-54655_Ubuntu_jaunty': invalid character in
revision number
dpkg: warning: parsing file '/var/lib/dpkg/status' near line 59539 package
'virtualbox-3.0':
 error in Config-Version string '3.0.12-54655_Ubuntu_jaunty': invalid
character in revision number
dpkg: warning: parsing file '/var/lib/dpkg/available' near line 61291
package 'virtualbox-3.0':
 error in Version string '3.0.12-54655_Ubuntu_jaunty': invalid character in
revision number
Selecting previously unselected package gfortran-4.6.
(Reading database ... 1224879 files and directories currently installed.)
Unpacking gfortran-4.6 (from .../gfortran-4.6_4.6.3-1ubuntu5_amd64.deb) ...
Setting up python-scipy (0.9.0+dfsg1-1ubuntu2) ...
dpkg-query: warning: parsing file '/var/lib/dpkg/status' near line 59725
package 'virtualbox-3.0':
 error in Version string '3.0.12-54655_Ubuntu_jaunty': invalid character in
revision number
dpkg-query: warning: parsing file '/var/lib/dpkg/status' near line 59726
package 'virtualbox-3.0':
 error in Config-Version string '3.0.12-54655_Ubuntu_jaunty': invalid
character in revision number

I do not know why virtual box appears in this listing.  I have not tested
to see if it has been affected.

Thanks,
-Denis