[PLUG] Python mess-up

Patrick "Finn" Robins 13.finn at gmail.com
Wed Jan 22 00:56:28 UTC 2014

On Tue, Jan 21, 2014 at 4:16 PM, Denis Heidtmann
<denis.heidtmann at gmail.com>wrote:

> I have python functioning, but some commands still cause seg faults.  I can
> do useful work without those commands, so this has become a matter of
> clean-up rather than an emergency.
>
> I should point out, if it is not already obvious, that I am a neophyte at
> this.
>
> The response from the apt-get command consists of 47 lines.  Below is a
> snippet.  Shall I cram all 47 lines in here?

For large files a link to a paste at http://pastebin.com/ for example
generally works better and is frindlier to the list.​​

> ​<snip>
>
> This line shows that you are using a 12.04 precise repo ... however​​

> Get:10 http://us.archive.ubuntu.com/ubuntu/ precise/universe python-scipy
> amd64 0.9.0+dfsg1-1ubuntu2 [7,300 kB]
> Fetched 50.4 MB in 10min 29s (80.1 kB/s)
> dpkg: warning: parsing file '/var/lib/dpkg/status' near line 59538 package

this line shows a package is from the 9.04 jaunty release​​.​​

> 'virtualbox-3.0':

 error in Version string '3.0.12-54655_Ubuntu_jaunty': invalid character in
> revision number

<snip>
You should check your internet instructions to see if they included adding
an incorrect repository. You can check your repository settings and remove
all of the Jaunty/9.04 ones and resync, apt-get may fix this. FYI I haven't
used a debian based distro in a while and haven't used Ubuntu in years.
This from memory.
Good Luck.