[PLUG] Linux documentation by a JOURNALIST? ????

Ken Stephens kens at cad2cam.com
Sun Jan 26 19:13:40 UTC 2014

Rich Shepard wrote:
> On Sat, 25 Jan 2014, Richard Owlett wrote:
>
>> I think quality/useful documentation should cover at least
>>    What When Why
>> Anyone know of a documentation project with that POV?
> Richard,
> .
> .
>     Many years ago Eric Harrison explained linux to me: it has little tools
> each doing a single, specific task that is easy to understand and learn.
> However, there are thousands of these little tools which makes learning and
> understanding more difficult.
>
> HTH,
>
> Rich

Rich, and the rest of us,

A coworker of mine, a long time ago, at a shipyard to the north, put it
this way:

"You have to know UNIX to learn UNIX."

What he was trying to say is learn a little at a time.  One of the first
best ways to
learn UNIX/LINUX is to learn the command "man" or now the sometimes more
informative "info" command.  One course in
Linux administration I took had use learn the command in /usr/bin/
directory.  At least it is a starting place.  Every once in a while
I find a reference to a command I do not know.  I use man or info or
Google to find out what it does and sometimes even
try the command out, if I am brave enough.

Ken