[PLUG] OT: Cheap Windows laptop

Rich Shepard rshepard at appl-ecosys.com
Tue Jul 1 18:58:17 UTC 2014

On Tue, 1 Jul 2014, Chuck Hast wrote:

> I guess this begs the question "What are you going to run?"

   Since 1997 only linux; nothing from Redmond or Cupertino.

> ... I know that Win7 works better on the VM in Linux than on cold metal.

   In the late 1990s I ran a dual-boot machine with Red Hat and win98 because
I had to run MapInfo. The win98 crashed quite frequently. Then I got the
free VMware, installed win98 on it and ran MapInfo in the VM. Not only did
it not crash once, but when I timed tests with a friend of mine who still
was running windoze, the VM version ran the application appreciably faster.

   Since 2000 I've used only GRASS for spatial analyses and mapping so I no
longer need a VM.