[PLUG] Rdiff-backup script questions

John Jason Jordan johnxj at comcast.net
Fri Jul 4 22:28:49 UTC 2014

On Fri, 4 Jul 2014 10:26:29 -0700
John Sechrest <sechrest at gmail.com> dijo:

>does it make sense to try to backup /dev or to try to backup sockets?

I don't know. Does it? I don't know what any of those files do. But
Keith said that /dev is recreated on boot, so probably that should be
excluded.

As for the sockets, I found a site dating back to 2009 that says this
is a bug in rdiff-backup:

http://savannah.nongnu.org/bugs/?26847

Apparently some think that it is unnecessary to back up sockets. I'd be
happy to exclude them, if I can figure out a way to write the exclude
line so it just excludes sockets.

I am still curious why I never get errors when I run a complete backup
(i.e., rename the destination folder so it will create everything new).
The errors only occur when doing an incremental.