[PLUG] Possible talk topics

Micah Cowan micah at addictivecode.org
Fri Jul 4 23:31:44 UTC 2014

Okay, so I mentioned I could be willing to give a talk or two at a
future meetup.

Talks I've done before, and could probably do again without too much
crazy work, include:

. GNU Wget, recursive web-fetching tool that I maintained for a few
years (I am neither wget's original author, nor its current
maintainer). Slides and details on that talk are at
http://www.lugod.org/presentations/wget/

. Exploring the Terminal, an overview of UNIX terminal features, and
useful tools. Includes brief demos of two Unix term-related projects
of mine, GNU Teseq and prompt-jobs, as well as an overview of terminal
multiplexers like GNU Screen and tmux.
http://micah.cowan.name/projects/term-talk/

. Composing Command-Line Apps with 'Plines'. Plines is a project I've
been tinkering with, off and on, to compose small "do one thing
well"-style Unix commands into pipelines, with a option-parsing
frontend to add and remove things at various places in the pipeline.
It's being used to drive another project, Niwt, which is a
highly-customizable replacement for Wget. Neither have seen a lot of
work recently, but I still believe it makes for an interesting talk.
:)

Other talks I could probably work up, given interest, would be:

. Using telnet and openssl to explore how web and email protocols work
. Functional programming with Haskell (intro)

(Have a great 4th of July, folks!)

-mjc