[PLUG] Icinga VMWare and network ports

Chuck Hast wchast at gmail.com
Thu Jul 10 20:28:27 UTC 2014

Folks,
I have a VM with Icinga setup on it. The VMWare host is running on
Xubuntu 14.04.

The Icinga VM is CentOS 6, I am now able to interrogate devices on
my network, but now I want to be able to use two Ethernet ports on
the VM one to talk to the network I am monitoring and the other to
talk to the business network in the building so that the application can
be observed remotely.

I have setup ESXi machines, that was a no brainer, setting up each
port and giving the VM's the virtual ports, but this test machine I am
running on is using VMWare Player. I have two network adaptors en-
abled on it, one for the SCADA network I am monitoring and the other
for the business network so it can be accessed remotely.

The problem is I can not get the VM to see both adaptors, as setup in
VMWare Player, it will see one or the other, it does bring up two ether
net ports if there are two adaptors setup. I have used the VMWare tool
to map each adaptor to the physical nics, but still no joy. The other thing
I notice is that the ethernet ports on the VM start at eth3 and go up, not
sure why it does not start at eth0.

I am also trying to figure out what they have done with the network
stuff in this VM, if anyone is familiar with the Icinga VM's I could use
some guidance. My application is talking nicely to the devices on the
SCADA loop, just need to be able to get it off of my desktop to other
people's browsers.

--

Chuck Hast  -- KP4DJT --
Glass, five thousand years of history and getting better.