[PLUG] Emacs: Collapsed View of Code

Rich Shepard rshepard at appl-ecosys.com
Fri Jul 11 17:47:34 UTC 2014

   Way back in the 1980s and very early 1990s I used a wonderful DOS text
editor for writing code: MultiEdit. Not only did it have sytax highlighting
and language-specific features, but it had a mode that would display only
those lines beginning in column 1, hiding all the indented lines. This was
exceptionally helpful in moving around large C files since I could see only
the function declarations lined up below each other. I'm writing now in
Python and SQL, not C, but I would really like to have this capability in
emacs.

   I've looked on the emacs wiki and searched the Web, but my quest has not
been successful. Do any of you emacs gurus know if there's a way to get this
behavior?

   (N.B. I don't care if vi can do this; I much prefer a page-oriented editor
to a line-oriented editor. Having to write my PhD thesis in the
line-oriented TDP was enough of that for me.)

TIA,