[PLUG] From Windows to Linux

Richard Owlett rowlett at cloud85.net
Fri Jul 18 16:34:51 UTC 2014

Windows 7 is the "last straw" for a friend who has used every
version since Windows 3.1.

Evidently Windows 7 would not allow him to do something he could
in previous versions (There was a side comment that having actual
DOS would be nice.) My proposed comment is that all common Linux
distros allow opening a command line window. Am I correct?

In the past I've suggested Ubuntu and/or Debian (Gnome3 and Unity
being nonstarters as DE).
He is partial to largish systems with many apps, I like light weight.

While chasing answers to various questions I've become confused:
   What is essential difference between
   --    Linuxmint Cinnamon
             and
         Linuxmint Mate

   --    Kubuntu
             and
         Debian with KDE desktop
         (My impression is mechanics of accessing repositories)

TIA