[PLUG] Dead machine

Denis Heidtmann denis.heidtmann at gmail.com
Mon Jun 2 17:17:49 UTC 2014

On Mon, Jun 2, 2014 at 1:06 AM, wes <plug at the-wes.com> wrote:
> On Sun, Jun 1, 2014 at 12:03 PM, Mark Phillips <mark at phillipsmarketing.biz>
> wrote:
>

>> BTW, I vacuum out my machines every 6 months or so...my house seems to be a
>> breeding ground for dust bunnies. I have never had a problem restarting the
>> machines. I pay particular attention to cleaning the dust off the fan
>> blades and the heat sinks. I am surprised about all the comments against
>> cleaning out the dust bunnies inside a computer.
>>

> I don't have any comments against cleaning out the inside of a computer - I
> just don't recommend using atmospheric air to do it. It's loaded with
> static and moisture. Additionally, the plastic used in most vacuum cleaner
> hoses tends to collect static, which can then be transmitted to the
> components in the computer case.
>
> I suggest using the cans of compressed air you can get at most grocery
> stores - they use inert carbon dioxide.
>
> That being said, this isn't the 70s any more and components are designed
> better all the time - including increased tolerance for static charges.
> That doesn't mean there's no danger any more, just that it's less than
> before.
>
> -wes

I started to chime in on this debate, then thought I would check with
Mr. Google first.  No facts, just opinions and "this is what I do".
Many report using an air compressor.   There was a reference to a
vacuum cleaner made esp. for cleaning electronics, but $$.  I should
imagine a properly designed nozzle would keep the static away from the
parts.

I think the goal is to get the dust out of the fans and louvers to
keep the cooling air flowing, and out of the heatsinks to keep them
working properly.  I suppose if you want to use a connector which has
been unused and exposed to the dust this also must get some attention.
 The rest of the dust is cosmetic.

-Denis