[PLUG] Dead machine

Loren M. Lang lorenl at north-winds.org
Mon Jun 2 23:42:58 UTC 2014

On Sun, 1 Jun 2014 08:07:43 -0700, Denis Heidtmann
<denis.heidtmann at gmail.com> wrote:
> On Sun, Jun 1, 2014 at 7:28 AM, Ishak Micheil <isaacem at gmail.com> wrote:
>> The CMOS Battery won't cause this issue.
>> If the PSU is not working you won't get any power.
>> You may just need to reseat the main connector on the board.
>
> As I said, the thing is up and running.  So I know the PS is OK and
> the MB has not been zapped.  And the machine started this AM with
> absolutely no fiddling--only the passage of time with no power to the
> unit.
>
> My focus now is on the intrusion detection system.  The pins are
> jumpered and always have been.  Suppose the jumper contacts are noisy
> or the circuit that is designed to detect and record an intrusion is
> faulty.  I do not know how the system is designed to react to an
> intrusion event.  My only observation is that occasionally (sometimes
> every few days, other times it will go a month or more between events)
> I get a message at boot and a halt.  It always is corrected by a
> shutdown and power up sequence. (I do not understand how this behavior
> would protect anybody who wants to implement the feature.)  So I
> wonder if when the machine refused to start the intrusion system was
> involved in some way.  Ideas?  (I still want to replace the battery,
> but am a little gun-shy.)

As far as the IDS warning always showing up, I believe it's designed
remain active until explicitly cleared by an administrator in the
BIOS/CMOS
setup. Since that would normally be password-protected, it ensures
that an
administrator will see the alert. What originally triggered it may
have
been a one-time event.