[PLUG] Resolved: OS not responding to laptop touchpad

Dick Steffens dick at dicksteffens.com
Sat Jun 7 15:28:43 UTC 2014

On 06/06/2014 05:17 PM, Dale Snell wrote:
> On Fri, 06 Jun 2014 16:47:37 -0700
> Dick Steffens <dick at dicksteffens.com> wrote:
>
>> I'm guessing this is because I had a mouse plugged in when I did the
>> install, but my laptop does not respond to the touch pad or its
>> associated buttons.

I guessed wrong. While searching for something that would tell me that
the OS knows the touchpad is there I found:

One of the comments toward the end of that page talked about a function
key to activate the touchpad. I'd never heard of such a thing but, sure
enough, there it is. Fn F7 has a rectangle with a pointing finger on it.
Hitting that key combination restored the touchpad functionality.

Now to continue playing with Dale's advice and see how I can tweak this
touchpad.

Thanks again, Dale, for the pointers to syclient(1) and synaptics(4).
Studying those gave me a better understanding of what I can do with the
touchpad.

--
Regards,

Dick Steffens