[PLUG] Intrusion detection on desktop

Bill Barry bill at billbarry.org
Sat Jun 7 20:53:48 UTC 2014

On Sat, Jun 7, 2014 at 1:40 PM, Denis Heidtmann
<denis.heidtmann at gmail.com> wrote:
> I had posted earlier that random chassis intrusion halts during boot
> prompted me to change the CMOS battery.  A mysterious failure to
> start, solved by the passage of time, occurred before I got the
> battery out.  That mystery remains.  The battery has been replaced.  I
> am hoping for no more intrusion halts.
>
> Galen suggested measuring the current through the intrusion jumper
> might help illuminate the random halts. I have measured that current
> as best I could.  It appears to be about 0.1uA, the least count of my
> Fluke 87.
>
> I calculate that the CR2032 should last 250 years at this current, so
> I do not know why it is set so low.  10 uA would be too high, yielding
> only 2.5 years battery life.
>
> Thursday night I was asked what my system was.  The MB is an ASUS
> M3N78-VM put into service June 2009.  The CPU is an Athalon X2 4850e
> 2.5 Ghz.  I have 2G RAM and a SATA 500G HD.
>
> Is this as outdated as some of Thursday night quizzers thought it might be?

It's newer than my motherboard :)

What is your Bios version? The Bios for this board seems to have been
updated many times, although I can't tell if any of the reasons apply
to your problem.

http://www.asus.com/Motherboards/M3N78VM/HelpDesk_Download/

Bill