[PLUG] Slackware-14.1/x86_64: Need to install kmod to boot

King Beowulf kingbeowulf at gmail.com
Sun Jun 8 20:24:16 UTC 2014

On 06/08/2014 12:57 PM, Rich Shepard wrote:
>    I inadvertently removed the kmod package when cleaning out unneeded KDE
> modules on a Slackware-14.1/x86_64 installation. When the boot fails from
> not finding kernel modules I get into a root shell.
>
>    Now my question is how do I access the missing package on a USB flash
> drive? The system does not recognize the ISO9660 file system so I cannot
> mount the dvd and install the package from that. Instead, I copied the
> package to a USB flash drive, but the system does not recognize the vfat
> file system, either.
>
>    I'm sure there's a Slackware recovery mode (in which I'm supposed to now
> be, I believe), but I've not figured out how to get that missing package on
> the hard drive so I can install it and boot normally.
>
> Help needed,
>
> Rich

Rich,

There are 3 ways you can fix this.

*Method 1*
Boot the system from the Slackware installation DVD (or bootable install
USB), but don't hit "enter" at the boot: prompt.  The text gives you a
hint of how to boot into the hard drive, something like (if I recall)
correctly):

boot: huge.s root=/dev/sda1 rdinit= ro

*Method 2*
1. boot DVD
2. boot: hit enter and continue as though you will install
3. don't run "setup" but instead chroot:

mount /dev/sda1 /mnt
mount -o bind /dev /mnt/dev
mount -o bind /proc /mnt/proc
mount -o bind /sys /mnt/sys
chroot /mnt /bin/bash

Now assuming your slackware package tree is on the original boot drive,
you can install the missing packages.

*Method 3*
1. boot DVD
2. boot: hit enter and continue as though you will install
3. mount /dev/sda1 /mnt
4. installpkg -root /mnt /slackware[64]/a/kmod...txz

For the "archives" just so we all know, ALL KDE packages are in the
isnall media /slackware/kde directory.  Same for XFCE. Go there to get
the list of packages to remove!

Have fun!
Ed