[PLUG] Small system hardware recommendation

King Beowulf kingbeowulf at gmail.com
Mon Jun 9 20:27:14 UTC 2014

On 06/09/2014 08:46 AM, Brian Martin wrote:
> All,
>
> I'm looking for a hardware recommendation from fellow Pluggers.  I need
> an inexpensive, fairly minimal system to run pfSense firewall software.
> Something equivalent to Atom processors or better would be fine.  On the
> order of 512M should meet our needs.  4-5 Ethernet NICs are required to
> allow multiple ISPs and internal zones.  The device will be installed at
> a client site, so it needs to have a presentable image rather than look
> like a science project.  I can get something from Logic Supply for
> ~$700, but that seems really expensive for what I want.  What's on the
> market these days that I should consider?
>
>                              -Brian

Brian,
You can set up just about any cheap old PC to run pfSense and if the
motherboard has enough slots, install a handful of PCI network cards.
It might be a bit bulky though.  There are some mini- micro ITX systems
for <$400 (such as intel NUC) but then you'll need to graft on a $200
4-port nic card or USB-to-RJ45 adapter.

Or go with a linux router system or kit, for example:
http://soekris.com/products/net5501.html
http://soekris.com/products/net6501.html
http://store.netgate.com/Routers-C178.aspx

Or pick up a cheap rack mount router/firewall (Netgear, Buffalo, etc)
that can run OpenWrt or pfSense. The pfSense website has hardware
recommendations and vendors if you don't want to "roll your own."

Or use some of the copious build ideas for the raspberry pi such as:
http://www.reddit.com/r/raspberry_pi/comments/1lfkvm/miniature_linux_firewall_with_builtin_screen/

Just some ideas.
Ed