[PLUG] Torrent issues {more info]

alan at clueserver.org alan at clueserver.org
Wed Jun 11 23:48:53 UTC 2014

>>> There are new versions of PCLinuxOS (2014.05) which I have been trying
>>> to download via torrent with Ktorrent. PCLinuxOS uses Linuxtracker to
>>> host their torrent files. When I open any of the torrent files in
>>> Ktorrent nothing happens for a long time. Looking at the torrent in the
>>> Trackers tab it says "invalid data in torrent file," and right-clicking
>>> on the torrent in the list of torrents it says it is unable to contact
>>> any trackers. After anywhere from an hour or so to several days,
>>> suddenly the torrent connects and starts downloading.
>>>
>>> I can use direct download to get the ISO files, but I usually prefer
>>> torrents as they are easier on the distro's servers. But the behavior
>>> of the PCLinuxOS torrents is just weird.
>>>
>>> According to Google no one else has ever reported this problem with
>>> torrents from PCLinuxOS. Does anyone here have any idea what might be
>>> going on?
>>
>> Does Ktorrent support magnet links?  They only torrent links I am seeing
>> on their site are magnet links and not all clients support them.
>>
>> Transmission should work fine. (It does on the link I tested.)
>
> The file name information is mangled on the link I tried. I have seen it
> before. I am investigating the cause.

The torrent hangs retrieving the metadata. It looks like there are no
seeders for the torrent. (I need to find a client that has good debugging
for torrents.) It could be that there is a IPv6 address that is not
routing, but I am not sure. I get the same hang behavior. The magnet link
format for this one is odd. It does not use a direct tracker address.
Judging by their forums, the way they handle their torrents is not very
straightforward. I wish I had a good answer, but I don't.