[PLUG] DebConf14 things

Carl Karsten carl at personnelware.com
Thu Jun 12 01:03:25 UTC 2014

Hi group

I am helping plan DebConf and have a few questions of some understanding
locals:

1. What is the network (both wired and wifi) like at
http://www.pdx.edu/conferences/smith-memorial-student-union   (3rd floor)

Imagine 300 attendees, 2 devices each.   What sort of comments are we
likely to hear?

Does anyone know of a group that has used that venue before?  It would be
great to talk to their organizers.

Should we bring in an outside vendor?  $$$!

2. Volunteers - we like you!  we are you.
https://wiki.debconf.org/wiki/DebConf14/Teams

self promotion: Help out with video and learn how DebConf does quality
videos with much less effort than the typical workflow.
The 2 skills you need: show up on time and pay attention.
I used what I learned to do PyCon and other events.

3. Please pass this on to other like minded groups that you are active in
(active to cut down on the same group getting spammed too many times.

On Sun, Jun 8, 2014 at 1:02 PM, tony mancill <tmancill at debian.org> wrote:

> Dear PLUG Members:
>
> For those who might not already be aware, DebConf14, the annual Debian
> Developer Conference, will be held right here in Portland this year.
> This is only the 2nd time that DebConf has taken place in North America,
> and we are very excited that it will be in Portland.
>
> The conference runs from August 23rd through August 31st and will be
> held at PSU.  For those interested in attending please see the main
> conference page and wiki [1,2].
>
> The local DebConf team would also like to welcome those who are
> interested in volunteering.  This is a great opportunity to get involved
> with free software and help make a difference, even if coding is not
> your thing.  We need a wide variety of talents to help pull everything
> together for the estimated 300 attendees, many of them international.
>
> For more information about participating on about the local team, please
> subscribe to the debconf14-team mailing list [3] and/or attend the local
> team planning meetings.  The next local planning meeting will take place
> on June 17th @ 1830 at the Lucky Lab SE on Hawthorne.
>
> We look forward to seeing you at DebConf14!
>
> Cheers,
> tony mancill (on behalf of the local team)
>
> [1] http://debconf14.debconf.org/
> [2] https://wiki.debconf.org/wiki/DebConf14
> [3] https://lists.debian.org/debconf14-team/

Carl K