[PLUG] Oscillation coming from computer

Dick Steffens dick at dicksteffens.com
Thu Jun 12 23:54:19 UTC 2014

On 06/12/2014 02:08 PM, Keith Lofstrom wrote:
> On Thu, Jun 12, 2014 at 07:28:37AM -0700, Dick Steffens wrote:
>> My new computer is generating what sounds like a sine wave of about 975
>> Hz. <snip>
> If "new computer" == desktop, open it up and listen for the
> precise area the sound is coming from.  CPU fan speed varies
> with CPU load, so I would expect a fan to vary in pitch as
> well.

CPU fan it is. My ear says that's where it is. I very briefly stopped it
with my finger and the noise stopped. I'm sure it's not a good idea to
do that too often, though.

<snip>

> Clinic is Sunday.  You can bring it in and we can take a
> look.  If I remember, I can bring an oscilloscope and we can
> probe around (and risk shorting something out, what fun!).

I'll probably take it up to ENU before then, but thanks for the offer.
And yes, I will be sure to back things up before I go.

--
Regards,

Dick Steffens