[PLUG] Change default application for a given file type in Ubuntu 14.04

Dick Steffens dick at dicksteffens.com
Sun Jun 15 22:28:21 UTC 2014

Somehow the assigned application with which to open a connection to a
networked machine has become Videos, which is really Totem. If I right
click on the networked machine's icon in Nautilus I see Videos as the
default. If I hover over "Open With" the first alternative is "Sound
Converter." Under that is "Other Application...". Clicking on "Other
Application..." opens a window that says, "Select an application to
open'smb-server-[name of machine], with a panel below that has only the
statement:

online" to install a new application.
------------------------

Clicking on "Show Other Applications" gives me a long list of
applications that are installed on my machine. Two of them are "Files".
I can highlight them or choose them, but I can't see what they are links
to. In earlier versions of Ubuntu, there was also a way to indicate that
the application I chose from that list was to be the remembered
application for the future. For example, the default application with
which to open a .mp3 file was Rhythmbox. I didn't want all the stuff
that comes with Rhythmbox, but just wanted to listen to the file, so I
changed the default to Totem (usually called Movie Player in the past).
I don't find the check box to make my choice the default in 14.04. Does
anyone know if they moved that feature to somewhere else?

Also, how can I tell if there's a difference between Files and Files, or
more specifically, what do each of those links point to?

--
Regards,

Dick Steffens