[PLUG] Question on obtaining libstdc++ source for openSuse 13.1

website reader website.reader3 at gmail.com
Mon Jun 16 07:47:57 UTC 2014

To primarily C++ code development people:

I have hit a slight problem, in enabling the debuginfo libraries for
debugging some C++ code while running under openSuse 13.1.  Apparently I
need the source code for the libstdc++-v3 library, but a search in the
openSuse repos (including both the source and debug repos) turned up nothing

1. Do I correct assume I have to get source from gnu gcc repo? (23 gigs or
so)

2. Has anyone had experience in downloading the libstdc++-v source and
pointing the gdb debugger to it? (hoping that this is under openSuse, of
course)

Because the gdb debugger is using the debuginfo libraries, it expects to
find the source too and crashes when stepping, and cannot find the source.

I can jump over the levels of stack during debug and avoid this problem,
but it would be much better to actually have the debugger access the source.

Apparently this has been a problem in the past?  A search under google
would seem to indicate so.

Thanks, and my apologies if this needed to be posted in another forum.

Randall

P.S. I understand now why most of the debuginfo libs are NOT put in the
normal distribution.