[PLUG] NFS again

John Jason Jordan johnxj at comcast.net
Mon Jun 23 05:31:24 UTC 2014

Thanks to Dale, David and Nat for the suggestions.

First, I should have mentioned at the beginning that the drive is a 3
TB USB 3.0 drive mounted at /media/jjj on the laptop, which is the
server. It is formatted ext4. File permissions on the folder that I
can't get access to on the desktop are rwxrwxrwx. But if it was a
permissions issue I should have gotten an error message "you don't have
permission" instead of a hang.

The client (desktop) does not automount the share. It is not in fstab.
Whenever I reboot the desktop I just open a terminal and mount the share
manually. After all, the terminal remembers the command, so it only
takes a moment. The share is the entire /media folder on the laptop.

The -l flag for umount worked, unlike when I tried umount -f. However,
it didn't help. After remounting it I still can't see the folder.

I tried fuser and lsof, but killing the processes they listed didn't
help. The processes were just ls and bash.

While waiting for responses I used update manager to add over 150
updates to the desktop (Xubuntu 12.04). Afterwards I had to reboot. And
after rebooting the problem remains.

In the Xfce panel I have long used a widget called 'Places.' You can
just click on it and get a popup list of drives and shortcuts to
drives and folders. Ever since this started it has been hung on the
desktop. Clicking on it does nothing; it doesn't even register the mouse
click. I even removed it from the panel and re-added it, but it remains
hung. Even after rebooting it is still hung. It was working fine until I
clicked on the folder that won't display - that's when it hung. It is
strange that it remains hung even after rebooting.

Meantime the laptop accesses the folder and continues to function
without issue.