[PLUG] Capture of CSV data

chris (fool) mccraw gently at gmail.com
Mon Jun 23 22:15:10 UTC 2014

On Mon, Jun 23, 2014 at 2:57 PM, Ronald Bynoe <ronald at bynoe.us> wrote:

> So the syntax is probably wrong, but something like "sudo nc -lkd -u $IP
> 9010 | tee netcat_log.csv

also not sure of the netcat syntax, but that is the tool i'd suggest too -
no need to reinvent the wheel to write a program that can grab data forever.

once you have the netcat_log.csv (maybe multiple - netcat_log_addr_port.csv
to reflect your network?), you can try a bunch of different solutions for
the back end (db storage?  maybe not needed...) and presentation (graphing).

A question nobody has asked yet is what kind of data volume you're talking
about.  "stream of data" is vague.  if it's one value an hour, you could
probably do without anything more than that csv file for longterm storage -
processing 24 rows of data per day is quick from a text file, even if
you're talking about 10 years worth.

let us know more about the volume of data (i think we have the rest of the
characteristics nailed down) and we can help you come up with a storage
plan that is easy to read from.  (eg; db schema if needed)