[PLUG] Capture of CSV data

Rich Shepard rshepard at appl-ecosys.com
Mon Jun 23 22:34:02 UTC 2014

On Mon, 23 Jun 2014, Chuck Hast wrote:

> To be a bit more clear, I am not sure how to get the data off of the
> communications medium and into a db, that is where I am at loss. I assume
> that I have to create a table in the db that is laid out like each row,
> and then have a tool that can pipe the data from the source into the db.

Chuck

   Ah! You're not familiar with databases. Each table has a series of columns
that store the attributes; e.g., mould number, through-put rate, number of
rejects, etc. Each row in the table is a unique set of those attributes
identified by (perhaps) mould number and time.

> The format of the connection is
> http://URL/ipaddy:PortNum
> PortNum may be 9010, 9030 or 9050, the last one spits out the data
> in binary format, I will deal with that later, right now I just want to get
> my data in the CSV format stuffed into a db.

   Off-hand I cannot give you an answer because I've not done this before.
However, I know it can be done quickly and easily with python and psycopg2.

   You might consider contracting with a python/postgres coder to quickly
write the application for you. There are a bunch available locally.