[PLUG] Capture of CSV data

Rich Shepard rshepard at appl-ecosys.com
Tue Jun 24 13:51:47 UTC 2014

On Mon, 23 Jun 2014, Chuck Hast wrote:

> I figured that a flat file was a no-no, but wanted to make sure.

   In the early 1990s I did database consulting for a medical research
support unit. They used Rbase for surgical results and survival analyses
(S-Plus). Because no one there knew how to design a database all the data
were in a single table; a flat file. When I re-wrote the database in
Paradox/DOS as relational tables a number of duplicate rows were revealed.

   Having used duplicate data in the statistical analyses produced incorrect
results that were published in medical journals. I was fired. :-)