[PLUG] Capture of CSV data

Chuck Hast wchast at gmail.com
Tue Jun 24 14:24:28 UTC 2014

Ahh, them methods others use to cover the poo on the floor, been
there done that, and I still have the tee shirt with the bullet holes.

So far all of the input seems to be aiming me at Postgres, so that
is the direction I will go. I will get into it and learn how to set it up.

I want this to be the basis for all of the data capture from all of the
different types of machines, since they all use a similar format to
output data, I should be able to with small modifications re-use
most of it from machine to machine. Once I have that going then
I will look at what I can  put the binary stream to use for, or if it is
faster to process, perhaps look at moving to it.

I will obtain some screen shots of the present form in which the
data is presented, I will probably try to replicate those screens
initially and then take request and recommendations, and try to
add them in or do screens that add the high request items.

Does the list allow attachments or is it best just to put the images
in a public dropbox directory and give the URL to it?

On Tue, Jun 24, 2014 at 6:51 AM, Rich Shepard <rshepard at appl-ecosys.com>
wrote:

> On Mon, 23 Jun 2014, Chuck Hast wrote:
>
> > I figured that a flat file was a no-no, but wanted to make sure.
>
>    In the early 1990s I did database consulting for a medical research
> support unit. They used Rbase for surgical results and survival analyses
> (S-Plus). Because no one there knew how to design a database all the data
> were in a single table; a flat file. When I re-wrote the database in
> Paradox/DOS as relational tables a number of duplicate rows were revealed.
>
>    Having used duplicate data in the statistical analyses produced
> incorrect
> results that were published in medical journals. I was fired. :-)
>
> Rich

Chuck Hast  -- KP4DJT --
Glass, five thousand years of history and getting better.
The only container material that the USDA gives blanket approval on.