[PLUG] ntpd and subnet

wes plug at the-wes.com
Thu Jun 26 21:00:17 UTC 2014

On Thu, Jun 26, 2014 at 1:49 PM, Rich Shepard <rshepard at appl-ecosys.com>
wrote:

> On Thu, 26 Jun 2014, Louis Kowolowski wrote:
>
> > Likely starting before the network is available, or its not configured to
> > sync the time, regardless of the offset. Given that rc.local works, I
> > suspect the former.
>
> Louis,
>
>    Now that's an interesting thought. I assumed -- apparently incorrectly
> --
> that when the ntp daemon started it kept running in the background. In that
> case it should not matter in what order ntpd and wicd were invoked.

These are two different issues. One being, whether ntpd continues running
after its first invocation. I don't have any comment on that, you'll just
have to look at your process list and see for yourself.

The other being what happens when a network-dependent service starts before
the network starts. Usually when a service or application starts up, it
looks at the available network interfaces and selects which are appropriate
to use. It then goes on about its business, continuing to use whichever
network interface(s) it selected at startup. If the network landscape
changes afterwards, the service or application usually doesn't see this and
will need to be restarted.

-wes