[PLUG] ntpd and subnet

Louis Kowolowski louisk at cryptomonkeys.org
Thu Jun 26 21:52:47 UTC 2014

On Jun 26, 2014, at 2:00 PM, wes <plug at the-wes.com> wrote:

> These are two different issues. One being, whether ntpd continues running
> after its first invocation. I don't have any comment on that, you'll just
> have to look at your process list and see for yourself.
>
> The other being what happens when a network-dependent service starts before
> the network starts. Usually when a service or application starts up, it
> looks at the available network interfaces and selects which are appropriate
> to use. It then goes on about its business, continuing to use whichever
> network interface(s) it selected at startup. If the network landscape
> changes afterwards, the service or application usually doesn't see this and
> will need to be restarted.

Something I’ve seen in the past, just because a script has executed doesn’t mean the network is up :-)
Sometimes networks take a while to come up, or they come up, go down, and then come up again.
Frequently, one has to break things into very tiny steps when debugging.

Louis Kowolowski                                louisk at cryptomonkeys.org
Cryptomonkeys:                                   http://www.cryptomonkeys.com/

Making life more interesting for people since 1977