[PLUG] HugesNet,

Russell Senior russell at personaltelco.net
Sat Jun 28 17:49:24 UTC 2014

>>>>> "Chuck" == Chuck Hast <wchast at gmail.com> writes:

Chuck> Folks, The new place I have moved to only has internet access
Chuck> via Huges Net (ugh!) I am using a router behind their
Chuck> router/radio. According to the info I have googled, this thing
Chuck> is supposed to assign addresses in the 192.168.0.x address
Chuck> range with the router being 192.168.0.1 It only allows for 5 IP
Chuck> assignments, so I have put a router running OpenWRT behind it,
Chuck> I notice that it gives out a IP assignment of 100.119.170.x
Chuck> with the GW being 100.119.170.1, also when I plug a linux box
Chuck> into the device it gets a assignment in that block of
Chuck> addresses. BUT when the field service guy plugged his windows
Chuck> box into the Huges box it gave him a 192.168.0.x address, what
Chuck> goes here? I googled this and all indicates that the box is
Chuck> supposed to hand out 192.168.0.x addresses, there are several
Chuck> admonitions that you need to make sure (for obvious reasons)
Chuck> that your local router does not use the 192.168.0.x subnet due
Chuck> to the HughesNet device using it as the default (I always
Chuck> change those things to some other subnet because .0.x and .1.x
Chuck> are the most common defaults.

Chuck> Why does this device hand out 100.119.170.x addresses (looks
Chuck> like routable addresses) to the linux box or the router but
Chuck> 192.168.0.x addresses to the windows box?

Could you please rewrite this post without the word "it"?  I can't
tell what you are talking about.  Just please disambiguate all
pronouns.  Well defined labels, like A and B work well.

--
Russell Senior, President
russell at personaltelco.net