[PLUG] Eee PC 701

Wayne E. Van Loon Sr. wevl at pacifier.com
Sat Mar 8 22:30:51 UTC 2014

My neighbor brought over a Eee PC 701 the other day. It had been
purchased for his sister-in-law but she went kind of weird and had to be
moved in some sort of weird care facility. He doesn't like the operating
system on it and was wondering if some variant of Linux might coexist
with the little 4 GB SSD (solid state drive) and 1 GB ram.

He has seen Linux Mint 13 Mate and was hopeful. Looking around on line,
I see that some of the newer distributions will not install on CPUs that
do not have PAE (Physical Address Extension) and apparently some
distributions are tuned to avoid wearing out the SSD.

I also don't want to spend a bunch of time on this. Does anyone have a
good experience / recommendation?

Wayne