[PLUG] Eee PC 701

Roderick Anderson raanders42 at gmail.com
Sun Mar 9 03:42:58 UTC 2014

On 03/08/2014 02:30 PM, Wayne E. Van Loon Sr. wrote:
> My neighbor brought over a Eee PC 701 the other day. It had been
> purchased for his sister-in-law but she went kind of weird and had to be
> moved in some sort of weird care facility. He doesn't like the operating
> system on it and was wondering if some variant of Linux might coexist
> with the little 4 GB SSD (solid state drive) and 1 GB ram.
>
> He has seen Linux Mint 13 Mate and was hopeful. Looking around on line,
> I see that some of the newer distributions will not install on CPUs that
> do not have PAE (Physical Address Extension) and apparently some
> distributions are tuned to avoid wearing out the SSD.

Wayne I run Linux Mint 13 maya with Mate on a EEE PC.  Can't remember
the exact model but it has dual SSD drives and I upgraded it to 2 GiB of
RAM.  Ran Fedora for awhile after stripping that weird Linux
distribution that it came with and really prefer Mint.

Even one GiB should make it run quite nice.

Rod