[PLUG] set-top streaming media devices

King Beowulf kingbeowulf at gmail.com
Mon Mar 10 02:11:58 UTC 2014

On 03/08/2014 03:03 PM, Rigel Hope wrote:
> I bought one of these Roku doohickeys recently, in spite of the
> potential security nightmares i suspect it will eventually cause,
> because others in the home wanted to be able to watch the various pay
> streaming video services on the main screen -- you know the ones, the
> ones with all the DRM nonsense.
>
> Anyway, I was unable to figure out how to stream audio or video from
> my linux box without installing some proprietary closed source
> nonsense ("Plex Media Server" -- the clients are GPL, but the server
> is not, yecch).
>
> There is an SDK that uses some Basic-derived interpreted language
> called BrightScript (conveniently abbreviated BS), but i suspect that
> coding an NFS client in BS is going to be beyond the limits of my
> available time, or ability.
>
> Has anyone run into this problem and found a solution? I was unable to
> find one using the googles.
>
> Thanks in advance.

Since I "cut the cord", I'm been toying with various mutimedia s/w
(XBMC, MythTV, ...) and poking around the specs of the Chromcast - which
led me to Roku's little copy-cat dongle announced recently.  Your post
then brought me here:

http://wilddtech.com/roksbox/home/

Its a one-time pay channel you add to the Roku which will allow
streaming from a local web server, NAS, USB drive (for Roku's with USB
ports), or plain network file share.  No plex server BS needed.  In
fact, it doesn't look like you need to do anything but configure a
standard Linux box - no added software! (except maybe for
transcoding..). It will even do music and photos.

As a turn-key solution, it's worth checking out.

-Ed