[PLUG] set-top streaming media devices

Tyrell Jentink tyrell at jentink.net
Sun Mar 9 19:21:07 UTC 2014

I'm currently using Plex with my Chromecast. Yes, it bothers me that Plex
Server is proprietary - but I figure, eventually the XBMC and the MythTV
people will add Casting support, especially now that Google has finally
released the SDK for public consumption (although, I'm not following the
issue very closely). On my wish-list is Chromecast support for VNC. I'm
pretty sure that would cover all my needs.

I don't have a Roku (but my roommate does)... so I don't know first hand.
It's KINDA cool that Plex supports Roku and Chromecast equally. I am
holding out hope that XBMC gains the same ability with Chromecast this
year... but reading a few comments on the Roku, I'm not very encouraged...
I suspect Big Media has enough influence over Roku development that they
will never allow massive development of an open source "channel."

I know none of this is really want to hear... but I'm largely in the same
boat.  I WANT to run open source solutions... but Plex was the only thing I
found that filled the need.