[PLUG] Tuning httpd.conf [UPDATE]

King Beowulf kingbeowulf at gmail.com
Mon Mar 10 22:15:27 UTC 2014

On 03/10/2014 12:38 PM, Rich Shepard wrote:
> On Mon, 10 Mar 2014, Rich Shepard wrote:
>
>>   I suspect that the new httpd.conf restricts access to that directory;
>
>    Progress has been made, but now there's a permissions problem.
>
>    The error_log showed a missing module (for ldap, which I don't use) so I
> commented out the module that calls it. Now httpd starts 4 processes.
>
>    When I try to load localhost/sql-ledger/login.pl I see:
>
> 403 Forbidden
> You don't have permission to access /sql-ledger/login.pl on this server.
>
>    Where do I look to change the permissions? Years ago I had this same issue
> after an upgrade but I no longer have the solution here.
>
> Rich

Is "login.pl" set executable? Is it executable for the user:group
accessing it? You set the permssions via chmod and ownership via chown.
Same goes for the directory path (../sql-ledger/).  Did you incorrectly
merge http.conf.new with your old customized http.conf?  Lost of stuff
in there and you just do not what to blindly overwrite the old with teh
new when upgrading. For example, in http.conf
1. Check "ServerRoot" - default is "/usr" in Slackware 14.1
2. DocumentRoot "/srv/httpd/htdocs" ??
3. LoadModule ...  - make sure you are loading all the same stuff
4.
<IfModule unixd_module>
#
# If you wish httpd to run as a different user or group, you must run
# httpd as root initially and it will switch.
#
# User/Group: The name (or #number) of the user/group to run httpd as.
# It is usually good practice to create a dedicated user and group for
# running httpd, as with most system services.
#
User apache
Group apache

</IfModule>

5. make sure apache can run perl scripts (mod_perf ?)  Beats me since I
stick with straight static HTML.

Any could have gotten re-jiggered in the upgrade.

See also:
http://www.cyberciti.biz/faq/apache-403-forbidden-error-and-solution/