[PLUG] Router Setup

King Beowulf kingbeowulf at gmail.com
Fri Mar 14 07:06:59 UTC 2014

On 03/13/2014 10:35 PM, Galen Seitz wrote:
> On 03/13/14 21:51, Dick Steffens wrote:
>>
>> <snip>

>>> Before you dive into configuring your router, shouldn't we be installing
>>> OpenWrt at the clinic?
>>
>> What's the advantage of OpenWrt or Gargoyle over DD-WRT?
>
> Personal Telco (aka Russell) uses OpenWrt.  He does his own builds, and
> is on the developer list(s).  I.e. we have an expert in our midst.
>
> Much less of an endorsement is that I am relatively familiar with LuCI,
> the web front end that comes standard with OpenWrt.  I installed an N600
> running OpenWrt at our office last summer.  I also have OpenWrt running
> on the WRT54GL in three locations, including here at home.
>
> The bottom line is that if you use OpenWrt, you'll have someone local to
> ask questions should the need arise.
>

> galen

With DD-Wrt there is some F/OSS licensing issues and historically they
have been accused of GPL violations in the past.  I am not entirely
convinced that they have fixed those issues.  Not that I begrudge them
to make a buck, but DD-Wrt has two versions: free for non-commercial use
and paid for commercial use. The "free" version is missing some
functionality.

IIRC, OpenWRT is fully F/OSS - no strings attached.  Of late Openwrt has
been my preference and its good to hear we have a guru amongst us.  I'm
running Gargoyle 1.6 on a Netgear WNDR3700v1 as I type (OpenWrt
ATTITUDE ADJUSTMENT 12.09).  The WNDR3700 stock firmware was oenwrrt
based but Netgear hasn't updated it in ages.  Yay, go free market!

I mentioned Gargoyle simply to point out a nice alternative to Luci web
front end.  That's pretty much all Gargoyle is: a nice simple to use
front end web interface on OpenWRT without all the bells and whistles a
home user might not need. It includes some nice traffic and band width
monitoring. Otherwise it's straight up OpenWRT core with advanced
features accessible via ssh.

-Ed