[PLUG] Router Setup

Dick Steffens dick at dicksteffens.com
Sat Mar 15 17:51:52 UTC 2014

On 03/15/2014 05:09 AM, Russell Senior wrote:

> <snip>
>
> DD-Wrt users are almost
> completely reliant on the developer to do development.  Their forums
> are full of people speculating on when the Great Man will deliver
> feature X, or support device Y.
>
> <snip>
>
> OpenWrt, in contrast, is very open.  If you want a package, you just
> opkg install it.  If you want or need a custom image, you select the
> packages you want in it, perhaps override stock files, and build your
> own damned image.  Boom, done.  No begging, no speculating.  It is
> reasonably easy to carry along your own local development branches
> with git, rebasing against the upstream versions to capture
> improvements, if you need to.
>
> There is certainly a place for DD-Wrt.  Not everyone wants or needs to
> turn their router into a custom single-board doohickey.  But with
> OpenWrt, they can if they want to.

As far as I can see I probably won't want a custom single-board
doohickey. But, I do want to have a system with ongoing development and
support from more than a single individual. Sounds like OpenWrt is the
thing for me.

I'll bring my stock Buffalo N600 with me tomorrow learn something new.

--
Regards,

Dick Steffens