[PLUG] Are dependences obsolete?

Bynoe, RonaldX J ronaldx.j.bynoe at intel.com
Tue Mar 18 23:39:27 UTC 2014

I've often felt this way too, and some proprietary applications that I've used (games) are distributed with a lot bundled in. Obviously they'll still break over time as whatever they didn't bundle in changes too significantly, but when I would use Gentoo, I remember using prelinking (https://wiki.gentoo.org/wiki/Prelink) as something of a solution to what you propose I think. It may not exactly fit the bill, but I know what you mean. I would gladly sacrifice 500 MB to ensure that an application could be run "stand-alone" on any Linux system from today 'till forever.

Pleasantly,
Ronald Bynoe