[PLUG] Need some advice on how to mirror & synchronize folders across multiple Linux, Windows machines

Michael Rasmussen michael at jamhome.us
Wed Mar 19 23:05:52 UTC 2014

On Wed, Mar 19, 2014 at 12:13:43PM -0700, Robert Miesen wrote:
> I have several machines---two Linux machines, one Windows 7 machine, and
> one Windows 7 Virtual Machine hosted on one of the two Linux machines in
> the setup. I am wanting to mirror a set of folders on all of these
> machines and have any changes I make to this set of folders synced with
> the other machines.

As Roland suggested btsync - your own private bit torrent sync - is worthy
of consideration.

Also consider "owncloud" it's like self hosting your own dropbox service.

Both of these offer near real time synchronization. You can also set them to
not delete files deleted on another box so a rm -rf won't cause a cascading
disaster.

--
      Michael Rasmussen, Portland Oregon
    Be Appropriate && Follow Your Curiosity