[PLUG] Quickbooks online - Re: Accounting Software

Keith Lofstrom keithl at gate.kl-ic.com
Thu May 1 19:29:29 UTC 2014

On Thu, May 01, 2014 at 10:38:42AM -0700, Larry T wrote:
> I don't know how much the company pays for it, but we have used Quickbooks
> online for several years, and yes I can work in it equally well in either
> my 12.04 or 14.04 Ubuntu.   Our company certainly makes it pay for itself
> because any of us can write an invoice from any internet connection as well
> as search for past invoices.  We have a Seattle branch and the controller
> often works from home Etc.

Quickbooks online is attractive - and frightening, because it is a
multibillion dollar target for the world's cybercriminals.  I presume
it is mostly "protected" through security-by-obscurity.

A week ago, a friend sent a link to a security blog.  Many doctors in New
England had their accounting hacked;  the crackers filed tax returns in
their names with the IRS, with refunds sent to cracker credit card accounts.

Can anyone using this share a link for a believable cryptographic analysis
of Quickbooks security?  Quickbooks on a WinXP system is insecure, too, but
in a virtual on a Linux machine inside a firewall, perhaps a little safer.

Keith

Keith Lofstrom          keithl at keithl.com