[PLUG] Firefox 24.x: Automatically Clear Download History

King Beowulf kingbeowulf at gmail.com
Sat May 3 07:26:44 UTC 2014

On 05/01/2014 05:42 PM, Rich Shepard wrote:
>    Prior versions of firefox had a preferences option to clear the download
> history after each download; version 24.x apparently does not. I've looked
> through all preferences and searched the Web without finding anything
> pertinent to firefox versions > 5 or so.
>
>    Does anyone here know how this can be set?
>
> TIA,
>
> Rich

Rich,

Here's how to accomplish what you seek - at least when I tested Firefox
24.5 Slackware64 14.1.  Seems I only have time to obsess about this
stuff at midnight!

1. Open FF
2. type "about:config" in the URL area
3. In the search box, type "browser.download" to filter the list
4. Look for the following 2 keys and set as specified:

browser.download.manager.retention	0
browser.download.useToolkitUI		true

5. restart FF.

"browser.download.manager.retention" has values to remove the download list:
0: Upon successful download
1: When the browser exits
2 (default): Manually

HOWEVER!  This only works with the old style download manager.  The new
download manager is a browser window which ignores this setting.  To set
the old d/l manager (pop up window), set "browser.download.useToolkitUI"
to false.  No you download will magically vanish when done.

reference:
http://kb.mozillazine.org/About:config_entries

Ack, freakin' pain in the ass.

Carpe Mozilla...and strangle the bastard....

-Ed