[PLUG] Need a new laptop

Galen Seitz galens at seitzassoc.com
Thu May 8 16:40:51 UTC 2014

On 05/08/14 08:58, plugng3 at MartinConsulting.com wrote:
> Hey Pluggers,
>
> I find myself suddenly in need of a new laptop.  My requirements are:
> - Runs Linux well (including Wi-Fi)
> - Light weight - my current netbook is 3 pounds
> - Long battery life (8-10 hours)
>
> I don't need much horsepower.  I just need to take notes, browse the web,
> and run OpenVPN occasionally.
>
> Does anyone have any recommendations for systems I should consider, or ones
> I should nix?

A Chromebook perhaps?  I recently purchased an Acer C720.  I think it
meets your criteria.  I haven't put linux on it, as it is destined for
my mom, but many people are installing linux or using crouton with it.
The $200 version has 2 GB RAM (non-expandable) and a 16 GB SSD, but
there are versions with 32 GB SSD, or you can open it up and install
your own SSD.  Note that the SSD is not mSATA.  It uses M.2 (NGFF).
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/M.2

galen
--
Galen Seitz