[PLUG] Need a new laptop

Chuck Hast wchast at gmail.com
Fri May 9 22:59:02 UTC 2014

Thank you. I did coverage studies for ConEd in NYC, also for the
Hillsborough County Sheriff  (Where Tampa, FL is located) and
several other utilities, the ThinkPad was the flagship machine
for that job, I have a pix somewhere of 6 of them in the back of
my van gathering data on cellular systems for the Sheriff. Had
two of them for ConEd (VZN and ATT) did not matter what kind
road we went down (some pretty bad ones) they never gave a
problem. Ran them off of a on board dc to dc power converters so
as to have a good healthy 15vdc. But they would run right off of
vehicle power if the alternator was putting out, anything above
13.8 pretty much assured you that the machine would start
taking power. Now of course they have all gone to 19 or 20vdc
power so you have to have some sort of converter to get to
that.

I also have never run into a ThinkPad that did not like Linux,
and that closes it for me.

On Fri, May 9, 2014 at 12:57 PM, John Bartley K7AAY john at 503bartley.com <
john.bartley at gmail.com> wrote:

> I second the opinion of the esteemed Mr Hast. The only laptops sturdier
> (and I say this from experience as a Freegeek laptop refurbisher and as a
> Kaypro company tech rep) are the aluminum iBooks and the Panasonic
> Toughbooks, and both are premium products at a premium price. Think Pads
> have parts readily available and profuse manufacturer's repair
> documentation, have a higher resale value (which validates their value) and
> just plain last. There's an X60 at
>
> https://portland.craigslist.org/search/sya?zoomToPosting=&catAbb=sya&query=Thinkpad&minAsk=100&maxAsk=&excats=
> as
> well as many others.
>
> --
> 73s/Best regards de John Bartley K7AAY  CN85qj   •|||||||•  tel.
> 503-BAR-TLEY/503-343-9399  "By reading this message, you agree to the NSA
> terms of service."

Chuck Hast  -- KP4DJT --
Glass, five thousand years of history and getting better.
The only container material that the USDA gives blanket approval on.