[PLUG] Need a new laptop

Brian Stanaland brian at stanaland.org
Sat May 10 17:02:25 UTC 2014

I second (third, sixth, whatever...) the Thinkpad line. I have an old T60
(so old it's a 4:3 aspect) that I currently run CentOS on. I just started a
new job with SGI and got a brand new T-series. Can't remember the exact
model. But it has one of the new style keyboards. It's still good to type
on. The screen looks great. And it's still built like a tank.

Brian

On Fri, May 9, 2014 at 7:41 PM, David Fleck <david.fleck at mchsi.com> wrote:

> On Fri, 2014-05-09 at 15:11 -0700, Rigel Hope wrote:
> > they also appear to have almost completely replaced the IBM style
> > keyboard/pad/stick. there's only one current model I looked at with an
> IBM
> > style kb. not sure how the new ones hold up but there are apparently some
> > issues with the new trackpads, so I was hesitant. anyone with a newer
> model
> > want to weigh in?
>
> My wife and I both got ThinkPad Edge E531's a few months ago, and so far
> they have been very satisfactory.  We have OpenSUSE 13.1 running on them
> very smoothly.  There are a few annoyances. The touchpad is not as good
> a design as most I've seen; there are no physically separate buttons,
> just regions of the pad surface that act as buttons -- click-and-drag
> operations can be painful -- the touchpad surface is large and easy to
> hit by accident while typing. It does have the little pencil-eraser
> pointing device also.  Fortunately, it's pretty easy to disable the
> touchpad and use a USB mouse instead.  Despite this, on the whole they
> have been great machines, and everything has Just Worked.
>
> --
> David Fleck <david.fleck at mchsi.com>

"Anyone who has never made a mistake has never tried anything new." -Albert
Einstein