[PLUG] Network is unreachable

John Jason Jordan johnxj at comcast.net
Sat May 17 16:50:56 UTC 2014

On Sat, 17 May 2014 05:45:22 -0700 (PDT)
Rich Shepard <rshepard at appl-ecosys.com> dijo:

>On Fri, 16 May 2014, John Jason Jordan wrote:
>
>> My laptop is working fine with its eth0 connection (wireless not
>> enabled while at home), so I know there is no problem with the
>> router or cable modem. But my desktop suddenly can't go anywhere,
>> not even local pings (printers, other devices).

Thanks to all for the thoughts and suggestions. In the cold light of
dawn I found the problem.

First, I assumed that my laptop was using its ethernet when, in fact,
it was using the wireless. But after I noticed that it was using
wireless, it confused me even more.

The center of the network is a D-Link router (192.168.0.1). The cable
modem connects into it, and there are cables out for two switches and
the Linksys wireless router. After I figured out that the laptop was
using wireless it stood to reason that the router must have been
working, else how could the Linksys have a connection? But if it was
working, why could neither the desktop nor the laptop connect via
ethernet?

The wall wart powering one of the switches was connected to an
extension cord from the wall outlet. This extension cord ran under a
piece of furniture that has enough room under it for a cat to sleep.
And evidently the cat managed to dislodge the connection between the
extension cord and the wall wart, so one of the switches had lost its
power connection.

I spent two hours on this last night before giving up and going to bed.
I am certainly glad that I do not administer networks for a living.