[PLUG] Samba or Nautilus Problem?

Dick Steffens dick at dicksteffens.com
Sat May 17 18:06:21 UTC 2014

On 05/17/2014 08:37 AM, MJang wrote:
> On Fri, 2014-05-16 at 11:19 -0700, Dick Steffens wrote:
>> I'm running Ubuntu 14.04 on a new machine. When I use Nautilus to
>> connect to another machine on my local network sometimes it works and
>> sometimes it doesn't. I don' t know if the problem is with Nautilus or
>> Samba. I don't have any problems with Nautilus looking at the files on
>> it's own machine, so I'm guessing the problem is with Samba, but it's
>> Nautilus that dies.
> Hi,
>
> You could always try connecting via the command line. I'm not sure of
> the current state of Ubuntu Samba package names, but generally, commands
> like mount.cifs are available from packages like samba-client.
>
> You should also be able to browse Samba shares with commands like
> smbclient -L //remotehost -U username

After installing smbclient and reading:

http://www.tldp.org/HOWTO/SMB-HOWTO-8.html

I am able to use the command line to connect with my wife's Win7
machine, and I can wander around the Win7 file system with cd and ls,
and I'm sure other useful command line tools.

> The intermittent nature of the problem makes me wonder if there are
> network issues such as a relatively distant wireless router.

I do have a wireless router. It sits about eight feet away from this
box. However, this box does not have a wireless radio in it.

I found my way to /var/log/samba. There are a handful of empty files
with IP addresses of machines in my house. Then there are a handful of
files with machine names, one of which has this in it:

[2014/05/05 16:19:20.173598,  0]
../source3/param/loadparm.c:4365(process_usershare_file)
   process_usershare_file: stat of /var/lib/samba/usershares/gateway
documents failed. Permission denied
[2014/05/06 15:21:39.468482,  0]
../source3/param/loadparm.c:4365(process_usershare_file)
   process_usershare_file: stat of /var/lib/samba/usershares/documents
failed. Permission denied
[2014/05/06 15:21:51.047921,  0]
../source3/param/loadparm.c:4365(process_usershare_file)
   process_usershare_file: stat of /var/lib/samba/usershares/public
failed. Permission denied
[2014/05/06 15:41:07.944797,  0]
../source3/param/loadparm.c:4365(process_usershare_file)
   process_usershare_file: stat of /var/lib/samba/usershares/public
failed. Permission denied
[2014/05/07 16:50:12.739112,  0]
../source3/param/loadparm.c:4365(process_usershare_file)
   process_usershare_file: stat of /var/lib/samba/usershares/public
failed. Permission denied
[2014/05/10 09:57:51.159599,  0]
../source3/param/loadparm.c:4365(process_usershare_file)
   process_usershare_file: stat of /var/lib/samba/usershares/public
failed. Permission denied

In log.smbd there are a lot of lines complaining about files or
directories not existing:

[2014/05/13 09:09:54.293667,  0] ../lib/util/pidfile.c:153(pidfile_unlink)
   Failed to delete pidfile /var/run/samba/smbd.pid. Error was No such
file or directory
[2014/05/13 09:10:55,  0] ../source3/smbd/server.c:1198(main)
   smbd version 4.1.6-Ubuntu started.
   Copyright Andrew Tridgell and the Samba Team 1992-2013
[2014/05/13 09:10:55.400898,  0] ../source3/smbd/server.c:1278(main)
   standard input is not a socket, assuming -D option

Then there are a number of entries complaining about missing files for
individual machines. These are the files I saw in /var/log/samba, but it
looks like samba is expecting to find them in /usr/local/samba/var. I
looked in usr/local, but there is no samba directory. If I simply
created those directories might that fix something? Would it hurt
anything to try that?

Thanks for moving me along the path to samba enlightenment.

--
Regards,

Dick Steffens